Impartiality, assertiveness, staying on course, summarising. All essentials of good chairing… or so the advice goes. I’m not so sure. I think you also need to listen well and bring people into the conversation.
I have chaired or co-chaired a number of industry events from the Autism and Theatre Day at The Unicorn to the Opening Plenary of the International Network for Contemporary Performing Arts in Belgrade to symposia on Deaf and Disability arts at The Universities of Liverpool and Exeter. I was seconded for Two Years as paid chair of Creativepeople.
I have extensive experience as a board member, advisor and committee member
- Adviser on research to Metier, the National Training Organisation for the Arts. 2001-2003
- Adviser to London Arts Board, New Writing Working Group, 1995-2000
- Adviser on Creative Writing in Higher Education, Arts Council of England Literature Department 2002-2003
- Advisory Group member, The Red Room 2004 – 2006
- Board Member, Az Theatre 2017 –
- Board Member, Vital Xposure, 2016 –
- Board Member, Jumped Up Theatre Company 2002-2010
- Parent Trustee, Treehouse, later Ambitious About Autism, National Centre for Autism Education 2006-2013
- Theatre Committee member, Writers Guild of Great Britain, 1997-2007
- Vice Chair, Playwrights Studio, Scotland 2004-2007
- Vice Chair, Actors Touring Company; 1999-2003
- Vice Chair of the London Arts Alliance; 1996-1999